Sunday 30 August 2015

¡Hola desde Valencia!


It’s the end of my first week in Valencia, so now seems like an appropriate time to write my first blog post for all of you.

The story so far…



In June I visited some of you in school, gave you a little presentation about Spain and told you about what I am going to be doing during my year abroad in Valencia. You came up with many questions that I now have to set out to answer, so to give you a reminder, here they are (in no particular order):
1.     How often do Spaniards get takeaway?
2.     What holidays do they celebrate in Spain?
3.     Who is my favourite football player?
4.     What time do Spaniards eat?
5.     What is their traditional dress?
6.     Do they have English restaurants?
7.     How many beaches are there in Spain?
8.     Do Spaniards have deep voices?
9.     Do they have a traditional food?
10.   Do they have a typical activity?
11.   Do they have any special events?
12.   Do they have many crimes?
13.   What do they eat?
14.   What is unique to Spain?
15.   Do they wear a lot of red?
16.   What is the population of Spain?
17.   Are fashion, food and popular culture icons the same as in England?
18.   Are Christmas/Birthdays celebrated the same way in Spain?
19.   What do Spanish people think of British people?
20.   Do Spanish people speak fast?

I will endeavour to answer these questions, and any more that you come up with during my time here. If you have another question, simply write it in the comments, and then I’ll be able to see and, hopefully, respond to it. Feel free to make any other comments as well. It will be really good for me to see if anything I write sparks any interesting conversation! This is meant to be an interactive experience, so I would really value your opinions on my posts or any topic I mention.


My first week:



I arrived on Monday morning after a seriously delayed flight and an apparent power cut in Valencia Airport when I was trying to collect my luggage. My mum came with me, I think she thought it would be a mini holiday, and I’m sorry to say I disappointed her on that front as you will soon see!
We got to the apartment where we would be staying while I looked for accommodation. It’s quite well placed as it’s between the campus where I’ll be studying and the area where I wanted to search.

I tried to add in a zoomed in box of my commute, but I’m not that great at Photoshop and you can’t read it, so I’ll say I’m living in Benimaclet, which is a really popular area with students, and my campus is the Burjassot campus of the Universitat de València*. You can find it on Google Maps.


It would be very dull to report my daily activities, but I have now found a place to live for the next nine months. I am going to be in an apartment really close to a tram stop to get to the campus every day. I am living with a young family and another Erasmus student; a medic from Germany. The parents in the family are students at the moment, with one year of their post-graduate studies to go, so they’re very busy at the moment. Their son is only seven years old and very sweet! Everyone has been lovely so far and today (Sun 30/08/15) is the first day I’ve properly moved in.
Having said that, I have been moving things in and going shopping for more “essentials” since Thursday. One thing to note about this area of Spain is that things are less expensive than in London. There are shops called Chinas, where you can buy almost anything to furnish a house at very reasonable prices, so I spent a lot of time there getting things like drying racks and laundry baskets, because I was only able to take clothes and some toiletries with me.

Tomorrow I am going to sort out my monthly tram pass and go and visit the campus so I can get my bearings and know where to go when I meet my Project Supervisor on Tuesday. 
Last night was the final night my mum was with me, and as it’s her birthday soon, I decided to take her out to dinner as we hadn’t been out all week. We went to a restaurant close to our apartment, and sat under a street lamp, in rather uninspiring surroundings of parked cars. We ordered some sangria, croquetas de bacalao, and paella vegeteriana for two. It would have easily fed four people with some to spare, so I asked the waitress if I could take away the leftovers, which I now have to work my way through before I get to cooking properly for myself!

Croquetas – mashed potato with bacalao (salted cod) which is then shaped into cylinders, covered in breadcrumbs and deep fried.

Paella –  A traditional rice dish of the region, cooked and served in a special paella pan, it was far too much, but so good.
Sangria – a drink, traditionally made with red wine and oranges, it's a bit like cold mulled wine. We soon discovered this one was particularly delicious because each glass had a tablespoon of sugar in the bottom.

Things to come:


This has been a brief introduction to my time Valencia so far, but as you can probably tell, I haven’t had very much opportunity to explore and experience the culture yet. So what I have done is planned a theme for each of the subsequent months which I can use as a scaffold to answer your questions, as well as tell you a bit about my personal experiences of the month.
I will also try to write some of the blog in Spanish for you all to read a bit too!


¡Gracias por leer!




*For those of you who might be a bit confused: “Universitat de València” doesn’t look much like any Spanish you’ve ever seen, and that’s because it isn’t! This is Valenciano, and I hope to cover the variety of languages that there are in Spain in one of my posts this year.



50 comments:

  1. Apart from the delayed flight it sounds great, was the food nice? We've just started back at school here in England are the timings that different in Spain? I look forward to hearing more about Spain and the Spanish culture in months to come, hopefully you will find out more about Spain. Happy Birthday to your mum, Bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food has been delicious, thank you. That's a good question! In Spain we are one hour ahead of England. This doesn't sound like much, but if I want to chat with friends and family, I often have to stay up later than I'd like. Thank you, bye!

      Delete
  2. Después de una semana de lluvia aquí en lnglaterra, me gustaría saber qué tiempo hace allí en Valencia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lo raro es que no hace mucho calor aquí, han habido dos tormentas, con truenos y relampagos, y en general está a 23 grados. Algunas veces estas temperaturas son buenos, pero si hay lluvia y viento, ¡me parece mucho más frío!
      Creo que el tiempo mejorará durante las semanas que vienen.

      Delete
  3. Después de una semana de lluvia aquí en lnglaterra, me gustaría saber qué tiempo hace allí en Valencia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi looks like your enjoying your self i heard that spain is beautiful is it?my aunts lives there and said you have very fine weather.your adventure so far sounds fun hope you enjoy and i look forward to finding more about spain and the traditions and customs
    Niha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spain is rather beautiful, and the weather is generally lovely, but at the moment we're experiencing unusually cold weather (only 21 degrees today!). The worrying thing is that I am actually feeling cold, whereas if I were in England I would feel like this was really hot. I hope you enjoy what I write next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far, Valencia sounds amazing and the food looks tasty. After having you flight delayed, you didn't give up and go back home which it great. Did t feel like a nightmare? i think the Spanish culture is very interesting and you have many things to explore. Enjoy your stay in Spain! -Sumaiya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, please see my general reply below.

      Delete
  7. hi it sounds like you are having a really nice time and enjoying yourself
    how is the weather i bet it is really hot it sounds like you are having a good first week
    appart from your flight being dellayed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, please see my general reply below.

      Delete
  8. Spain is a really great place to go and I wish ill be able to go like you did. you obviously had a great time and the weather and food seems great I hope I will get a chance to go to. Spain is a beautiful place . Abida

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spain is a beautiful place and like you I would like to go there my self and the great weather makes me want to go even more. its obviously you hade a great time and I enjoy learning more about Spain and there traditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, please see my general reply below.

      Delete
  10. hello it looks like your having a great time in Spain. I hope I get to go and enjoy the great weather and learn about there traditions and different types of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, please see my general reply below.

      Delete
  11. Apart from your flight to Valencia it sounds like you are having a great time... happy birthday to your mum!! I haven't ever been to Valencia but I have been to parts of Spain and I know it is a great country with lots of great sights so I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and enjoy the hot weather.
    Bye
    from Chelsea-Leigh Landerkin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your kind comments. I think it will be easier to have a general reply than to reply individually and risk repeating myself a lot!

    The weather here is actually just like England today. Ever since I left the house this morning, when it was spitting, the rain has just been getting steadily stronger. If I look outside, there is a chestnut tree, and a grey downpour, so I'd be forgiven for thinking someone had just transported me to England in my sleep!
    The flight being delayed almost felt like some sort of sign that I should just stay at home, but really it just meant I got to read more of my book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, This seems GREAT. I really hope you're having good time in Spain. What do most of the people in spain do? Did you study Spanish before you set off to Spain? Anyways, hope you can answer as soon as and have a WONDERFUL...Time in spain :) Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us and many other people. Byee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, sounds like you’re enjoying yourself in Spain. Valencia sounds wonderful. Food looks delicious. Apart from your flight being delayed  I see you have said that the weather is not very good. These last few days in England, the weather has been great.
    Hope I can go Spain. Any ways have fun!
    -Tuslima x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, sounds like you’re enjoying yourself in Spain. Valencia sounds wonderful. Food looks delicious. Apart from your flight being delayed :( I see you have said that the weather is not very good. These last few days in England, the weather has been great.
    Hope I can go Spain. Anyways have fun!
    -Tuslima x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi sounds like you are having a good time in Spain, as far as i know Spain is a beautiful country and their traditional food is really great. Valencia sounds wonderful, i will love to know more about Valencia. I hope I get to go and enjoy the great food and weather. Anyways enjoy yourself!!!!!
    Marjhan :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Spain Sounds AWESOME! Apart from the delayed flight. How is your Masters project going? The food looks lovely and delicious! The Spanish Culture is really interesting and fun! Good Luck in your masters project and have fun, bye!

    - Fahim Chowdhury

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Spain Sounds AWESOME! Apart from the delayed flight. How is your Masters project going? The food looks lovely and delicious! The Spanish Culture is really interesting and fun! Good Luck in your masters project and have fun, bye!

    - Fahim Chowdhury

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,sounds like you are having a good time in Spain.As far as I know Spain is a awesome country. Valencia sounds wonderful. I will love to know more about Valencia. I hope I get go in Spain and enjoy the amazing weather and the delicious food. Anyway have a good time!!!
    Marjhan x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,sounds like you are having a great time in Spain. As far as i know Spain is a beautiful country. Valencia sounds wonderful, i will love to know more about it . So far your blog was really interesting and i hope i get to go in Spain and enjoy its weather and their delicious food. anyways i hope you'll have a good time there.
    Marjhan x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,sounds like you are having a great time in Spain. As far as i know Spain is a beautiful country. Valencia sounds wonderful, i will love to know more about it . So far your blog was really interesting and i hope i get to go in Spain and enjoy its weather and their delicious food. anyways i hope you'll have a good time there.
    Marjhan x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi your experience sounds amazing and Valencia seems like a great place to spend your final year abroad! Your blog is really interesting and detailed so I will be looking forward to keeping up to date with it and reading about your future endeavours :)
    - FN x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, sound really good. My class is planning to go to Barcelona. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The food looks amazing and im happy my question was there. Have a great time in Valencia, enjoy the weather, food and have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Saema Bint-E-Khalil9 September 2015 at 10:11

    Great blog. Valencia sounds great from your point of view-except from the seriously delayed flight. I want to know more about it. I hope you have a great time there. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great blog. Valencia sound great from your point of view (except for the seriously delayed flight). I really want to know more. I hope you have a great time. All the best. Saema

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great blog. Valencia sounds really great apart from the seriously delayed flight. Hope you have a great time there. Saema

    ReplyDelete
  28. this was helpful and ive learn more about spain.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, It looks like your having a great time apart from your delayed flight. The food look very yummy and looks delicious. your blog was very intresting keep it up. hope you have a great time !!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. happy birthday to your mum
    sound great,
    hope you as nice time. keep on posting more about Spain.
    nice to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Leah Bowkett-Mansfield10 September 2015 at 00:16

    Great blog. Valencia sounds great,Happy birthday to your mum.
    Valencia sounds wonderful. I will love to know more about Valencia.
    im gladf your having a nice time, i would love to hear more about your trip

    ReplyDelete
  32. helloooooo lizzie, how have you been? Sounds like you are having a great time in Spain. The food looks nice, keep on having fun, bye have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. your experience sounds amazing and Valencia seems like a great place to spend your final year abroad.i hope you had a great time.safwan

    ReplyDelete
  34. I hope you'll have a great time in Spain! I'm looking forward to read your answers to our questions!!!
    -Eva

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi hope your having a good time and I have a question what is the best thing you've seen like landmark?

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm looking forward to the next post! Mx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Saema Bint-E-Khalil26 November 2015 at 11:08

    WOW!!!!!!!!!! Great blog as usual. Looks like you are having a VERY GREAT time. Happy Birthday to your mum. Can't wait till your next blog. Until then, have a GREAT time.

    ReplyDelete
  38. i really enjoy reading your blog :) , i'm looking forward for the next post and i wish u are having a really good time in there, i wish i could visit Spain :(
    Marjhan x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Really interesting! I'm looking forward to read the nest posts!

    ReplyDelete
  40. hellooooooooo i am very glad you are having a fantastic experience, happy birthday to your mum have fun and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  41. hi. looks like u learned a lot and you found out new words and different traditions and foods ,landmark.
    happy late birthday to ur mum and have fun

    ReplyDelete
  42. leah bowkett-mansfield1 December 2015 at 00:16

    Great blog!
    happy birthday to your mum!
    sounds like your having a great time

    ReplyDelete
  43. hi great blog happy birthday to your mum
    love reading your blog

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very nice blog, my favourite bit was when you described how the Spanish people thought of your Spanish as a English person :)

    Hago buen español también!

    ReplyDelete